A modern simple static resume template and theme. Powered by Jekyll and GitHub pages.Host your own resume on GitHub for free!
Installation & setup guide
This template is designed to be hosted using GitHub pages and so that's what these instructions will cover. If you plan on hosting it seperately then there might be some extra steps that we wont cover.
Step 1 - GitHub
Start by creating an account on GitHub
Step 2 - Create Repository
Create a repository on GitHub to hold your files and host your resume. You can find out how to do that here
Step 3 - Download Resume Template
Download and extract the following zip into the git repository you have just created. resume-template.zip
Step 4 - Push it
Commit and push the resume template to github
$ git add --all $ git commit -m "Initial resume setup" $ git push -u origin master
Set 5 - See it
You should now be able to see the demo resume template using this theme at
So now you will be able to see the demo template at your github url. You can can edit the yml files and replace the demo content with your own. Hopefully it will be fairly simple to work out where all the content goes, but here is a quick overview.
This will contain all the of the main configuration for your resume such as your name, email, social media links and about me content. It will also allow you to change the titles of some of the content sections.
A full example of the _config.yml can be found here
A list of all your education, each education will follow this format
- name: Institution name dates: Date Range (eg. 2016 - 2019) qualification: Qualifications (eg. BA Performing Arts) quote: > Short institution or course description (optional) description: | # this will include new lines to allow paragraphs Description of qualification
A list of all your experience, each experience will follow this format
- company: Company name link: Link to company (eg. https://google.com)(optional) job_title: Job title dates: Date Range (eg. November 2016 - present) quote: > Short description of the company (optional) description: | # this will include new lines to allow paragraphs Description of role
If you wish to specify multiple titles for a single company, use this format
- company: Company name link: Link to company (optional) jobs: - title: Job title 1 dates: Date Range (eg. November 2016 - present) - title: Job title 2 dates: Date Range (eg. January 2015 - November 2016) quote: > Short description of the company (optional) description: | # this will include new lines to allow paragraphs Description of role
A list of all your projects, each project will follow this format
- name: Project name link: Link to project (eg. https://sproogen.github.io/modern-resume-theme)(optional) github: Github page for project (eg. sproogen/modern-resume-theme)(optional) quote: > Short overview of the project (optional) description: | # this will include new lines to allow paragraphs Description about the work on/with the project
Before you start make sure you have Ruby and the gems for Jekyll installed locally. You can find out how to do that here.
- Clone your resume repository locally (if you haven't already)
bundle exec jekyll serve
- Open your browser to
Any changes you make will automatically build and you will be able to see these by refreshing your browser.
Note: You will need to re-run
bundle exec jekyll serve to see changes made in